Dyno’ing the car shows a picture perfect 240bhp to the wheels (300 @ the crank).
Some pics of the car on the dyno:
Click on the below link to see the car on the dyno.
We start the project by removing the front bumper cover and the access panels to the engine.
The DME is removed and sent to TPC for programming…we should get in back in a few days.
In addition to the TPC Turbo kit, we are installing an underdrive pulley, urethane front engine mount and urethane rear transmission mounts, stainless steel brake lines and a Quaife limited slip differential.
We remove the standard pulley from the motor to install the underdrive pulley.
A boss on the face of the engine needs to be cut down to facilitate the installation of the new smaller pulley. Of course, a shorter belt is needed.
Next, we remove the intake manifold to gain access to the airbox so that we can modify it.
We fabricate and install a small aluminum plate on the airbox to hold the MAF and filter assembly.
Now we remove the exhaust system.
We remove the front engine mount and replace the stock rubber bushing with a urethane bushing.
We replace the stock Bosch spark plugs with NGK race plugs.
Now we get to work on replacing the differential unit.
We remove the stock unit and dismount the bearings and ring gear.
After taking some measurments and reinstalling the bearings and ring gear onto the new LSD, we check gear pattern for pinion placement. Proper alignment is essential for a gear that won’t “roar” during acceleration or decceleration.
With the proper shim distance set, we reinstall the differential, fill the transmission with the proper fluid, and continue with our turbo installation.
The major pieces of the kit are layed out and readied for installation:
After some muscling, the car is finally officially “turbocharged”..but there is a lot more to do.
Work begins on getting the air to water intercooler installed.
After receiving the DME back from getting it programmed (not as easy as it sounds as this project was hampered by the snowstorms of 2010 in the mid-Atlantic):
Approx 370hp to the wheels equating to 470HP at the crank!!! This graph only shows ~6900rpm (very safe). The car actually revs to 7300 and was still making power.
With 93 octane gas in the tank, the TPC Turbo kit increased hp by 130 at the wheels (170 at the crank)!!! Incredible!!!!